Families are Forever
July was a month filled with unexpected blessings. My 88-year-old mother slipped peacefully from this world to the next on July 8. We knew this was coming; she had been placed in hospice shortly before we left for our mission. I am very grateful for the Senior Missionary policy that allowed us to leave our mission and attend her funeral. I'm also grateful for the Lord's timing, which allowed us to schedule her funeral for the weekend following our annual family vacation (which our children had planned and executed without us!). Because they were all camping in the Tetons, they were all able to come down to Utah for the services and to see us. I recognize that as a beautiful tender mercy at a difficult time.
When I was a little girl, I always wanted to grow up to be just like my mom - and I have in very many ways - I even look like her! I'm so very grateful that she taught me to serve others and to love the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is because of the gospel that I know that the body that I saw lying in the casket is only that, a body; that her spirit lives on and has been joyfully reunited with her parents and her husband; and that I, too, will be with her again one day. I am very grateful for the atonement and resurrection of Jesus Christ that make this possible, and for the knowledge that families can be together forever.
If you are struggling with loss or have questions about death and what follows, I invite you to explore the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints found here: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/death/death?lang=eng



Comments
Post a Comment