I Hope They Call Me On a Mission
I Hope They Call Me On a Misson!
Ever since my college days, I have wanted to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I love my Savior and His gospel so much and they bring me so much joy and peace - I just want everyone to have the opportunity to feel the same. However, when my 21st birthday rolled around (the minimum age for women to serve back in 1976), I chose to get married instead. I felt that my future children would be my most important converts and did my best as each came along. I'm happy to report that five of my six children served their own missions as young adults and the sixth now oversees many church service missionaries at her non-profit - success! Now that they are all grown and on their own, it's time for me to follow their example. Step 1 - retire and convince my husband that he should retire, too. The first part of that was easy, and once Neil saw the advantages, it only took him a year to decide to join me. For him to retire from his own optometric practice was a lot more complicated than for me to retire from teaching, but that's another story. It took about six months to close up everything for his practice, but by December 19, we had officially submitted our application for missionary service! Do we look like a senior couple?



Comments
Post a Comment